Thursday, February 23, 2006

Go On… Jump!

Kendall was waiting for me at the top of the stairs yesterday, and when I was about 4 steps from the top she jumped…and trusted that I would catch her. Now just freeze this picture in your mind for a moment -- there a lot of things that can happen at this point.
Here are a few of them…

1. I may not have been paying attention to her, and if so, then I wouldn’t have known she jumped. (Yeah right – I love that girl, you think she doesn’t always have my attention?!)
2. I may trip and fall on the steps, if so, then it would be almost impossible to catch her. (There is a possibility of this – I’m kind of clumsy.)
3. I may accidentally drop her. (Don’t think so – but it’s possible.)

The list could go on and on of the possibilities that could happen from her leap – of faith. Hold on, is that what that was – Kendall’s leap of faith – in me? We all know that’s exactly what it was.
I was climbing the stairs and Kendall wanted to jump, and she KNEW that if she jumped to me -- I would catch her. It wasn’t thought out or planned; she thought it and did it! But how could she be so brave at the drop of a hat? That’s the easy part -- she knows me… She knows her daddy loves her, wants the best for her, and can be trusted to take care of her – to catch her when she jumps.
We have been together for four years and 1 day now, and we know each other very well. She knows how I’ll respond to most things without her thinking about it…most things. Sometimes we have to work on confidence – like jumping to daddy when he is in the swimming pool. It took a little time, but she knew it was daddy, and that I could be trusted to catch her when she jumped – so she did.

God has called us to have faith in Him…the kind of faith that just jumps! I know that in order for us to have that kind of faith, 1. We need to know Him, and 2. We need to have experience with Him. But that’s not the end of the lesson – we also need to apply the knowing and experience to our day to day lives, and when things get a little shaky – just jump – His arms are strong, and your rescue is sure.

Unfreeze the picture -- of course I caught Kendall, with not even so much as a stumble. We both had a great laugh, and I was so blessed to know my daughter has faith that her daddy is more than happy to catch her when she jumps -- in fact I’m thrilled that she trusts me that much.
I believe God is thrilled when we trust Him as well!

Go on…Jump!

2 comments:

Scotty G said...

He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 18

Little Kendall trusts her daddy and doens't stop to think about the "what if's" and dangers of the stairs. It's the way we should be toward God, jump without letting fear hold us back, after all, He is GOD catching us!

Good post.

Jennifer said...

I agree. Great post, Jamie :D