Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Faith...

Faith – as defined in dictionary.com. (I only used the definitions pertaining to my post.)
1. Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.
2. Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.
3. The theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God’s will.
I’ve heard many lectures on faith, studied many scriptures on faith, I’ve even been blessed to be involved in the lives of Christians who we would consider to have “great faith” in God -- Here are a few -- not all -- but a few things I’ve learned from all of this…

1. Just because I talk about faith, doesn’t mean I have it, even if I'm a Bible teacher, minister, preacher, or serve in any other role in His family.
2. Faith in God is the only faith with POWER.
3. Sometimes the words we say indicate that we merely have faith in faith, instead of faith in God. Let this one sink in.
4. One life with true faith in God, impacts so many other lives in a wonderful way.
5. Faith is caught not taught. (Kind of like a cold. If you want it just keep hanging around those who have it, but you still have to want it.)
6. Faith in God is Life giving.
7. Faith in God opens your life to His all creating POWER.
8. A little faith in God is awesome to behold or experience, how awesome would great faith be to experience?!
9. I regret to admit it, but I have a really small faith in a really BIG GOD – but He’s working on it.

Here are a few scripture to wrestle with…

Hebrews 11:6 - And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
Hebrews 11:1 - Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
James 2:14-26 - Read it…
Mark 6: 5-6 - He could not do any miracles there, except lay his hands on a few sick people and heal them. And he was amazed at their lack of faith.
Romans 10:17 - Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.

This post is not meant to, nor is it even possible to attempt to explain all the amazing facets, as well as the blessings of faith in God. Faith is born by experiencing God at work… through His word, through prayer, in your life or the life of someone else, by watching His creation, or (and probably) all of these together. The blessing of faith is the most incredible place to live, and we can only get there by His invitation… and He has extended it to everyone.

How about you? What are your thoughts or stories of faith in God? You're welcome to share them here, if not then I encourage you to meditate on them with Him in prayer.

11 comments:

Scotty G said...

Nice post.

Jennifer said...

You posted!!!! Just thought I'd give you a hard time....as usual;)

I think this post is great, Jamie. Faith is so hard to talk about because we just can't seem to be able to find words to explain it. I think my favorite definition is Hebrews 11:1. I like what you said about faith being caught not taught. You told me this once before here on your blog and I have just kinda' been letting it sink in for the most part. I want to teach Zoe, as well as others, about faith by having them experience it through me. I can keep throwing the ball to them and teach them how to catch the ball but it's up to them to reach out their hands when the ball is coming toward them in order to do the catching.

Does that make sense?

jamie riley said...

Scott -- thanks for the comment, I appreciate your encouragement.

Jennifer -- yes, I think it makes sense. I know you can teach about faith, but to truly develop faith one needs to see it in action. One incredible way is to watch Jesus in the Word, or in the life of another. If it's not real to you -- then who would buy it if you were teaching about it???!!

Thanks for your comment -- and for the hard time -- I appreciate it.

Unknown said...

For me, the most exciting dimension of faith is power. To think that God will infuse our efforts with His Spirit is uplifting.

I have been greatly moved by our recent experiences of praying as a group. I believe that if we continue growing in prayer, especially as a group, God will amaze us.

aaronkallner said...

Good post Jamie.

There is warmth in my heart when I just have faith in God. Lately I have had some unsure moments, but it such a calming experience for me when I pray and put it in HIS hands. I'm getting better at it, but still need a lot of work. Just think how much hair I would have had if I could stop worrying and give it to HIM.

Joking about the hair, that is herditary, but it hopefully will help in preventing future ulcers.

jamie riley said...

Jason - I agree that our spiritual growth is encouraging, and I'm excited about what the days ahead hold for us. Faith in God is an exciting place to live.

Gabe - great thoughts - I think it's amazing how God uses our children to teach us about our relationship with Him. Your comment is well taken...

Thanks guys for visiting, and sharing your thoughts here.

jamie riley said...

Doc. - you and I were commenting at the same time, I was leaving a response to Jason and Gabe and when I posted it your comment was there...

Anyway -- thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment, it was encouraging, and I can totally identify with you. Thanks again...

jamie riley said...

You're right Dewey - thanks for the shout baby!

Scotty G said...

If you've ever been hit hard, right where your passion lies and you think "It's not worth it. Stop. Give up.

Then your heart says "There's no where else to turn, get up, move on."

That's faith.

aaronkallner said...

I have faith that this blog site is growing stale. No action here.

Scotty G said...

I have faith that a new blog will be posted here soon.