Friday, January 27, 2006

The Hike...


On Saturday the 21st, some of the students from Innermission Campus Ministry and I participated in the 6 mile Winter Hike hosted by Hocking Hills State Park, as mentioned in my previous post.

The hike started at Old Man’s Cave – wound through the hills to Cedar Falls, (where we were served bean soup, corn bread and hot chocolate) then continued through the hills to Ash Cave. We had a great time and the views were spectacular – if you like walking along the edge of 300 – 400 foot vertical drops, seeing huge trees, and great waterfalls that is.

I made a few interesting observations about the hike that I would like to share…

1. There were lots of hikers, but not all of them enjoyed the hike.
2. There were lots of hikers, but not all were properly prepared for the hike.
3. Some of the hikers finished the hike only because of leaning on others for help and encouragement, and some children old enough to hike – needed to be carried.
4. I mentioned that the views were beautiful, but not all of them… sometimes the trail was really muddy, steep, dangerous, and at times it was hard to know just how close to the end we were.
5. Some hikers hiked alone.
6. I noticed several hiking the wrong way.
7. Some turned back.
8. When we finished the hike and loaded into our vehicles, most of those traveling with me sighed when they were seated in my truck and said they were glad it was over because they needed to rest – then they fell asleep – at least until we stopped at Pizza Hut.
9. After a short nap and pizza, everyone in my group was in total agreement – the hike was worth taking.

I think there are similar observations when we consider our walk through this life as Christians…

1. All who have given their life to God are hikers, but not all of us enjoy the hike.
2. All who have given their life to God are hikers, but not all of us have allowed Him to properly prepare us for the hike.
3. All who finish this hike will do so having always leaned on God -- and others -- for help and encouragement, and at times we will be carried by Him and them.
4. The views of this hiking trip are breathtakingly beautiful… but not all of them. Sometimes the trail is really hard, muddy, steep, dangerous, and no one knows just how close to the end of the trail we are.
5. Because of these and many other reasons – some will become discouraged and turn back.
6. When given an easier option, some hikers will choose the easier trail – and go the wrong way.

7. Some hikers will try to go it alone… and that’s just not possible.
8. All who finish this hike will be blessed eternally with sweet rest and a feast at the table of the Father.
9. When this hike is finished, we will all agree – the hike was worth taking.

To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy— to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.

Jude 24-25

Keep Hiking!! Jamie

12 comments:

Jennifer said...

That was great writing Jamie! That's just how I look at things too. I just read this post to Tim and told him that it's always exciting to find someone else who "pays attention" to the analogies that God provides for us while here on earth. This is why I love blogging so much. I love to share what comparisons He's shown me to others who may not find it so easy to see. I love it when He shows his children this stuff. He knows we'll all write or tell about it too.......tell how GREAT HE IS!

irmalee said...

Your post was wonderful Jamie. God has blessed you with a wonderful talent to write and teach. I am still HICKING.
GOD IS GOOD - LOVE Y0U

irmalee said...

Sorry - I mean Hiking and Hicking.

Scotty G said...

I like to hike. I want to hike. I'd love to go out and experience the beauties that God has created, but my problem is I can't find the right shoes. Shoes are very important for hiking and God made me with somewhat ackward feet. I'm a size 9 foot, but they are wide so the normal size 9 is too tight. 10's are to long and I trip over the toes. I have sensitive arches also that need just the right support. If I can't find the right shoe, I just can't go on the hike. Listen, I've tried, but some shoes just squeeze the life out of my feet. Other shoes just rub me the wrong way until I get all irritated and have to stop. If God would provide me with just the right shoe for the hike, I'm sure I would enjoy the wonders he has created for our benefit, but until then, I think I'll just stay at home and rub my feet.

Jennifer said...

Scott, go to Unger's in Ironton. I hear they have specialty shoes and could have just what you're looking for! :D

irmalee said...

Scott - I buy those good inserts at Walmarts for some of my shoes.
They are wonderful and really help. Cost is about $6.00 and well worth the try.
GOD IS GOOD AND LOVE YOU - MOM

Scotty G said...

I guess my parity relating to excuses people use not to hike and excuses people use not to explore the wonders of God took on a more practical application than I anticipated.

Thanks for the tips!

Jennifer said...

hahahaha!

Scotty G said...

I'm tired of reading about the hike on this blog!!! Let's get something moving here!

aaronkallner said...

This must have been a long hike, because he still has not got back to blog.

Scotty G said...

A hiking we will go
A hiking we will go
Hi ho the dairy-o
A hiking we will go

jamie riley said...

Hey guys -- thanks for the comments and I'm sorry for taking an extremely long time getting back. You see, I was right here with you, but then all I can remember is that everyone went to Unger's in Ironton and then to Walmart--I'm assuming in New Boston -- and Jennifer laughed and laughed, all because Scott's feet hurt, and he didn't even go on the hike.
Anyway thanks for snapping me back to reality -- I'll work on getting this blog up and running again immeadiately