Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Thank You!

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
Ephesians 3:20-21

This is one of my many favorite verses in the Bible… I’m sure you feel the same as I do – with all the incredible encouragement God gives through the word; it’s hard to pick just one. But if I had to pick just one… this would be one of them! You see I still can’t narrow it down.

Anyway – I just wanted to say thank you several times to those who have been so encouraging – first to God who knows what we need before we ask – yet still longs for us to share our hearts with him in prayer. Then to all of you -- who have shared your hearts with him concerning the requests listed in my last blog post.

I’ve been blessed to witness God working in wonderful ways concerning the requests in my last post, and I know that your prayers were heard by him. Isn’t it amazing to have the honor and privilege of God getting involved in your life?!
We're blessed beyond what we will ever know… to state the obvious.
­­­­
Now a few updates…

My daughter is well and back to her spunky – cute little self. That’s wonderful!

Winter Quarter has started very well for us at Innermission Campus Ministry to Shawnee State University.

Deny, Leigh and the Family arrived home safely. Please continue to pray for the church he serves as a minister.

My mom was released on Friday from Grant Medical Center – was home for a few days – then was admitted to the Holzer Hospital in Jackson, Ohio -- with what they believe to be heart failure.

I spent a long time with mom and my sister last night. We talked, prayed, and read several different passages from the Bible… It was really encouraging to watch God nourish their spirits as we read several of the Psalms, Ephesians 3:20-21, 2Peter 1:3-9.

We had been reading for about 45 minutes when I paused and my mom said – I just love the verse that says “Jesus Wept”. (What you don’t know is that I had been asking God to give the opportunity to talk to mom about death – I wanted to ask her if she was ok, or scared, and if I could do anything to help her.) So taking the opportunity God provided me with, I turned to John 11 and we shared together the story of the death of Lazarus. The story had all three of us so moved -- we talked of how Jesus must have loved them for him to weap over their pain. Then we came to verses 25-26, where Jesus says “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?” I looked at mom – and she said “yes I do honey”… and I just had to smile. It’s so amazing to watch God work in such a wonderful way?!

I finished the story, and then we talked about faith, and about her confidence in Him to see her through. We prayed together, hugged and I left for home, reminded of what I already knew – God has all this totally under control – and she is safe in his care. He also reminded me again of how blessed I have always been to have the great spiritual parents He gave to me.

Again – thanks for praying… “With God all things are possible.”

Also to Scott and Terry thanks for the timely visit… you helped set a great atmosphere and helped her laugh – she loves that.

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

I enjoyed reading about what happened in the hospital room with your mom and sister, Jamie. I just pictured her lying in that hospital bed smiling in satisfaction at the sight and sound of her baby boy reading scripture to her for comfort. I wonder if she looked at you while you read and thought about you being something like your dad? I would imagine that would give her alot of peace.

Such a sweet, calming picture you presented. :)

aaronkallner said...

I will continue to pray for your mom and the rest of the family. I know as important as it was to share those moments with your mom, it was just as important for your sister. I pray that Lori and Loren and the rest will be comforted with God's presence in your and your mother's lives.

Sarah is a neat lady. I need to go and visit her. We usually laugh a lot. It is usually about you, but I know she loves you and is very proud of you and your walk with the Lord. She always grins when she talks about you, Kristin and Kendall. I need to get her a new picture of the Abbie, Ellie and Kendall.

Take care and my prayers are with you.

jamie riley said...

Jennifer -- thank you for the encouragment...if she thought I was anything like my dad -- that would be a compliment.
BTW -- how did you know mom called me her "baby boy?"

Doc -- my mom thinks the world of you, and you definitely make her
laugh -- feel free to do so about me, I'm just glad she's laughing. I really appreciate your prayers and the encouragement.

Scotty G said...

You're welcome of course. I'm glad things are going well and will continue to pray for your mom. Like about all visitation, I get more from the experience than those I'm visiting and her visit was no exception.

Jennifer said...

Jamie, it's kinda' weird (well, not so much), but I had written out a different comment before posting the one I left but then had brain lock and could think of a single word to type next. It was so frustrating right there in the middle of a sentence. I then had to take what I had already written out and start fresh. This time around, everything just flowed and the words just came to me. I really don't know why I used the words "baby boy". I like to think it was me thinking like a mom and knowing you're the youngest boy but I know better. God gave me those words because I've noticed when "I" write something or when "I" speak something, it hurts people's feelings and comes out sounding nasty. BUT, when God tells me what to say and what to write, it comes out perfect and ends up touching the listening ears and the reading eyes. God must have known you needed to hear the words "baby boy" in reference to your mommy. ;)

Unknown said...

Jen,
Don't worry about sounding "nasty", Jamie can take it.

jamie riley said...

What's up Jason??! (Or should I say "Jeho" just kidding) It's good to hear from you -- thanks for getting Jennifer cleared up for me. When Jennifer is "nasty" as she said, it's not nearly as bad as being 6'5" weighing 203, and having mom introduce me as her "baby boy." Now that's tough -- but I've gotten over it... I think...
Anyway -- Happy Birthday! I hope your day goes well, and I'm looking forward to celebrating with the family tonight. I hope it's not a surprise!!

Unknown said...

What...tonight...we're getting together?