Saturday, January 07, 2006

The Gift of Faith!

As I write this I’m sitting with mom and my brother in her hospital room -- she is resting at the time. Once again I would like to thank everyone for praying for her; the doctors say she’s doing a little better. The good thing in all of this is -- she knows who is in control -- and she has great faith in Him.
The faith of a parent is a gift in so many ways. We all know how important it is to have a real life-changing faith, in the real Jesus…and to live that faith in full view of our children and the world. Now that’s a gift! But just as important as living that faith daily – is living it when it’s put to the ultimate test…the end of life here. As the doctors seem to be saying that mom’s days are limited – she is as bright eyed and cheerful as ever --because she knows what all this really means. It really is a gift to have parents who know and trust the Lord.
Again, thank you so much for praying for my family.

On a different note…

My favorite college football team The Ohio State Buckeyes defeated the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl by the score of …34 - 21!

My 2nd Favorite -- Penn State defeated Florida State in triple overtime 26 – 23!

And the great news is -- my favorite NFL team the Pittsburgh Steelers made the playoffs and are playing the Cincinnati Bengals tomorrow at 4:30pm. And I, along with some friends and brothers (I use those terms loosely – they’re Bengal fans) from church get to go to the game. I’m sure it’s going to be a blast!

And just a little FYI – with the unseasonably warm temperatures lately, I’ve had the opportunity to golf a few times since mid-November…three times to be exact. I played 7 holes the day before Thanksgiving- it snowed 1-1/2 inches while I was playing -- it was fun, 4 holes a few days before Christmas, (it got really cold) and 7 holes on the 29th of December, 18 in all, and it only took 3 trips to the course. Golf is a great game, and I consider it a blessing to be able to enjoy it, especially with friends -- or my wife and daughter-friends too, of course!

One last note – God is good!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jamie,
I enjoyed your thoughts about your mom. She must be a great lady! It really is a blessing to have parents who love and trust the Lord. Have a great time at the game and don't forget who you're cheering for! (I'll bring that #9 Palmer jersey to church for you.) GO BENGALS! WHO DEY!
Lisa

aaronkallner said...

Hey Jamie,

Your Mom is still in my prayers. Hope that the rest of the family is well.

Kendall told me a secret tonight about her water baby and her aunt Lori. Im not sure what to do with this info and it is no longer a secret, but felt like it should be passed on.

Being a Brown's fan I don't care who wins tomorrow, but I hope whoever does will beat New England. I'm tired of seeing those guys win.

Grampy said...

Glad to hear your mom is doing a bit better, we'll keep her in our prayers.

No comment on the football scene except that we share at least one favorite team :P

Have any trouble finding your golf ball in the snow?

Anonymous said...

Jamie,
Your mother is a wonderful example to me. She has tremendous strength even in her physical weakness. I will always cherish the blessing of going to Grant Hosp. with you to see her. She has been and will continue to be in my prayers. What a woman!
Thanks again for the call. Keep serving Him. Those who know you are blessed.
LCQ,
Deny

P.S. GO BENGALS!

Jennifer said...

The way you described your mom as being bright eyed in the face of death made me think of a child getting ready for Christmas morning. She's excited about what's to come, knowing that it will be more incredible than she can imagine. I just love the pictures that keep popping up in my head concerning your mom. What's weird is I've never even met her or even seen a picture of her. Not sure what's going on here...haha!

Grampy said...

All the time!

All the time...

jamie riley said...

Thank you for all the encouraging comments, and prayer for mom and our family…

Lisa – you’re right about everything you said about mom… the other stuff though, well, I did have fun at the game, the guys I went with are great (you already know that though) even though they’re Bengal fans.
I couldn’t bring myself to wear your Carson Palmer jersey (I’m really sorry about his knee) I had my own Pittsburgh Steeler sweatshirt and terrible towel.

You can borrow them sometime if you want… the sweatshirt that is -
-you can’t have the terrible towel.

By the way – what does Who Dey mean? I found a definition for dey at dictionary.com here it is...
Dey -
1. Used formerly as the title of the governor of Algiers before the French conquest in 1830.
2. Used formerly as the title for rulers of the states of Tunis and Tripoli.
Love ya Lisa…


Doc – thank you for always thinking of mom… that thing about Kendall, Water Baby, and my sister – well – I don’t know what to think. But I’m interested.
I’m proud of you for standing by your Browns – you’re no fair-weather-fan, and you’ll be rewarded someday. Until then I know you’re secretly cheering for the Steelers, and you’re welcome here.

Al – thank you, mom really is a great lady! And I’m glad to hear you’re a Steeler fan also – GO STEELERS!!!! You did mean the Steelers… Right?
BTW – I did lose 2 golf balls in the snow, and they were right in the fairway… or at least that’s the story I’m telling.

Deny – How are things in Missouri??? Thank you for the encouragement, always being someone God and I can count on, and the good words about mom. I know you think the world of her. You’re a dear friend, and a blessing. I’m praying for your family, and the church there.
BTW – Sorry about Carson Palmer, that was painful to watch. We had end zone seats 20 rows from the field, right down the Steeler side line. Jerome Bettis and I were hanging out… just kidding I don’t mingle with players at games.


Jennifer – thank you – that’s a neat way to look at it. I appreciate your concern and encouragement on my mom’s behalf.

Al – GOD IS GOOD!!!!

Aaron McCray said...

I trust that your mom's faith is unbreakable as evident of the faith you have in her. Faith is one thing that is gained by an individual but also taught by people like your mom who show you how to believe. It is calming to know that your parents have faith in the LORD and know that he is in control and you do not have to worry about their soul. This allows you to focus on their needs here on earth and being there like a son should be.

I know your mom is blessed to have you as a son as we are blessed to have you as a brother and a friend. Thanks.

Go Squealers, I mean Steelers. Good game.