Sunday, January 15, 2006

Totally Dependant...

For some time now Kendall has been going to Joan’s for day care. Kristin teaches a one hour aerobics class twice a week -- and Kendall goes to Joan’s during those times.
From the beginning Kristin and I have taken turns taking her there, and I admit it has been pretty hard for me to drop her off, spend a few minutes and then leave. Every time I would start to leave – Kendall would say “but daddy, would you stay and play with me? Or daddy, I want to go with you,” and big tears would fill her eyes. (That’s a heartbreaker)
So, for me to be able to leave without her getting upset, we had to distract her. Joan says Kendall has me wrapped around her little finger, I say she’s right. (But isn’t that how dads are supposed to be with their daughters?)
Here’s the problem…
Lately when I take her to Joan’s -- we hang out a few minutes -- and then she starts playing with the other children. I usually hang around a little longer, and then say “bye Kendall – daddy loves you! She says I love you too daddy! And then I leave. And as I drive away I think about how good it is for her to be comfortable staying there without mommy or daddy with her. I thank God that a godly woman like Joan is in Kendall’s life… and then I pout a little as I think about how easy it was for me to leave, she didn’t even put up a little fight. Ultimately I know that as Kendall grows – she will become less dependant on us to look out for, and take care of her -- but I don’t have to like it. I love the thought of my little girl being mature and strong, but I’m not so crazy about her getting there without mommy and daddy any time soon – after all – she’s my little girl.

Isn’t it interesting that things are just the opposite when it comes to our relationship with God? With our children, we are called to help them develop independence, at lease to a large degree. But when it comes to our relationship with God – he calls us to a life of total dependence on him. Instead of growing up and maturing to the point that we can make it on our own – as it is with children and their parents -- God tells us that growing up and maturing as a Christian – is to be totally dependant on him, to look to him in everything, and for everything. Can you imagine how blessed our lives would be if we allowed ourselves to become totally dependent on him?!
The truth is… we already are.


I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Phil. 4:13
…apart from me you can do nothing. John 15:5

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Very nice, Jamie.

I'm glad Kendall is with Joan. She's great!

We're not really suppose to teach our children to be independant at all. Actually, we are simply transitioning the responsibility over to God. As our children grow and mature, they are to look to God for everything instead of us. Independance should never even be in our vocabulary because we simply shouldn't make it our own. We should all look to God and depend on Him for everything and as our children watch us throughout their childhood, depending on Him and not doing or saying anything without first checking in with Him, they will learn exactly what to do. I say we should fight against independance because that is what the world teaches. God teaches dependance. And how beautiful it truly is when it is used as it should be. ;)

Thanks for a great post that inspired me to think a little deeper about independance.

I have a motto:

Always question what the world. Never question God.

jamie riley said...

Jennifer -- I guess I should've been clearer. I agree that we should live a life of dependance on God because He called us to, and because our children are watching. I believe faith is caught not taught. I was only saying independance in the sense that we can't always do everything for her. Such as... feed her, wipe her (excuse me), dress her, you know... the things that cripple a child's development if always done for them. Don't get me wrong, I love doing for Kendall, you know that. I want her to be my little girl forever. But she would stop developing if she is never given that type of, for lack of a better word, independance. Or should I say empowerment?.

Jennifer said...

I understand, Jamie. :D I was just kind of expounding on the whole independance thing because I was inspired to do so. After I had already posted my comment, I went back and read your post over again only to realize that we agreed completely and I appeared as though I had completely missed the point you were trying to make. I decided to not go back and delete what I had left in the comment section because I felt that it was good stuff to go along with what you had just been saying.

Not to mention the fact that it was a little awkward feeling going to someone else's blog and attempting to disagree with them...haha ;)

Either way, great post! I enjoyed it and all the thoughts it put into my head that caused me to go and post more about it on my own blog. Thanks for the inspiration. :D