Thursday, February 28, 2008

My Thoughts on Winter ...


This may sound a little strange – but I really enjoy winter. It’s not just the winter… I love all four seasons. I especially enjoy them in Southern Ohio. Don’t get me wrong… winter, to me, is forth on a short list of four seasons – but it’s still amazing. I believe God reveals a little of himself to us through every season, and winter is no different, just a little colder. The night skies are so clear in the winter that it seems you can just reach up and touch the stars – and snow covered pine trees display a beauty that can only be born out of God's awesome creativity.


Spring and fall are my favorites by far – but summer and winter are amazing.


There are a few details that when present make the winter much more pleasant. One detail would be snow – lots of it and often. Along with the snow comes sleigh riding, snowman (snow people) building with Kristin and Kendall, and snow ball fights… you can’t go wrong there. A second detail would be warm enough temperatures on occasion – 40 to 45 degrees – to play just enough golf to keep what game I have from getting too rusty.

The only problem I can see with winter is that after the National Championship Game and the Super Bowl – the college and pro football seasons are over and baseball season is still a few months away. Sport fans are left with little more on ESPN than basketball and hockey. College basketball is pretty cool, but still leaves us a little sports starved during the coldest months of the year. I’m thankful that Golf starts in February, at least we can watch Tiger, Ernie, Phil, Rich, and the others between hockey fights and missed traveling calls in pro basketball.

By the way… I went to a fight one time – and three hockey games broke out! (Sorry)


Which season is your favorite – winter, spring, summer, or fall?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Summer...warm, swimming, homemade ice cream, vacation, no school, strawberries, seashells, sandcastles, popsicles, lightning bugs, campfires, flip-flops, Splashdown, picnics...

jamie riley said...

Anonymous – you make a really good case for summer. How could anyone not enjoy all the things you mentioned and then some…?

Thanks for sharing – and for stopping in.

Stephanie said...

FALL IS THE BEST!!!
Winter can get too cold and people can't get to work in the snow and ice. (I love to play in it, too)
Summer is okay but too hot and brings to many thunderstorms.
Spring sucks, except for everything blooming. I HATE STORMS!
Fall has hayrides, cookouts, the leaves changing, warm days and cool evenings, and the holidays coming. It is the all time best, to me.

jamie riley said...

Stephanie,
Your point is well made... I think fall is amazing as well. I am especially taken by the brilliant colors of the trees in the fall. The thought comes to mind that God is an amazing artist, and the fall leaves are one of his pieces of art on display.

Another cool thought... we are one of his pieces of art as well. That thought was inspired by "Jars of Clay" in their song "Art in me."

Jennifer said...

Fall is the most beautiful to me and it reminds me of when I was a teenager dating Tim. He played football and I only got to see him on game nights and church services. I love God and all, but Tim made church alot more fun to attend. ;) Tim and I started dating in October and got married in October. So, I'm just really sentimental about the fall.....it makes me think of him.

In general, I really like all of the seasons because they make me long for the next season to come along. I really enjoy change. I'm probably the only weirdo that actually likes change but, hey, that's me.

Jennifer

jamie riley said...

Jennifer - nothing like a walk down memory lane... especially when it's the wonderful memories God has blessed us with. And ok - so you're a little weird - at least you fit in with the rest of us.

I really enjoy the changing seasons as well -- I think it's a great demonstration of God's awesome power... just like the weather lately... now that's one powerful God.

One change I'm glad never takes place...

Hebrews 13:8
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.