Monday, February 04, 2008

You and Me - Unity


I think amazing is the word I’m looking for…I think.

As I read the story of The “Tower of Babel” it seems to me that our God finds unity amazing. I want to say impressive – but I don’t think God finds us all that impressive. I know he loves us with a love we can’t comprehend – and that he’s relentless in his loving pursuit of us – but I don’t think he’s really all that impressed with us. So at least for now I’ll use the word amazing – I think it fits. If you follow the link to Genesis 11:1-9 you can read the story of the “Tower of Babel” and decide for yourself.

Genesis 11:1-9

When I read this story I think it’s clear that their unity is more than just interesting to God. And I believe they did more than “get his attention.” The result of their unity – both in what they we able to accomplish and the steps God took to bring it to a halt, point to something amazing – and unity is amazing.

For a more insight into unity follow this link…

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

There are so many directions we could go from here, but just let me say this…

If they could accomplish so much by working together on their own… can you imagine what we could accomplish if we allowed God to unite us – to make us one in him? There would be no end to the amazing things he could accomplish through us.

But the most amazing thing our unity in him would accomplish can be found by clicking on the scripture link below…

John 17:20-23

If you have any thoughts on unity – please feel free to share…

2 comments:

Scotty G said...

Psalm 133
How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity!

jamie riley said...

scotty g,

Thanks for stopping by, and for the great scripture.

That whole chapter is powerful - short - but powerful!