Saturday, December 17, 2005

Acappella --
And growing to love the word

How did it happen for you?

How did what happen? You ask.

How did you grow to love the Lord?
What drew you to him?

How did it happen for me? You ask.

I’d be happy to tell you!

First let me start by saying – I’m not as close to God as I need to be, nor do I love him as I should. But, I’m still growing, and he’s still drawing me closer and closer to him… thankfully.

There are a lot of things that played a part in my growing to love the word of God -- and his son as well. I was blessed to have godly parents, and my dad was the preacher for a small Church of Christ in southern Ohio. I say “was” because he passed away, in 2001. I was blessed to do his funeral on my birthday. He was an incredible man, a spiritual man -- who loved the God of the word -- and my mom is just as amazing.
It was common –- when I was growing up -- to wake up in the middle of the night and find my dad in the family room, or at the dining room table reading the word. I know that was very important in my developing a love for the word of God.
There are many other people and situations that have impacted my love for God and his word, but there is one group of people I would like to point out specifically…

The music group Acappella has played a major role in helping me develop a love for the word of God, and because of that -- love for God.
It has been such a blessing to grow up listening to scripture put to music. Don’t get me wrong, I love Contemporary Christian Music – just look at my profile and you can see that. But Keith Lancaster and Acappella have been such a blessing to me by putting scripture to song, and putting the word on my heart. Several of the scripture I have in my memory, I have because they sung it to me over and over through my car stereo.
One more thing, www.hosanna.org has a program called “Faith Comes By Hearing.” Several years ago I ordered their dramatized version of the Bible, it has a lifetime warranty against pretty much anything -- they really want to make sure you have the word with you. They even replaced the set I had worn out; they challenge you to do that…Cool huh.

So there you have it -- my growing to love the word story! Or at least most of it.

Thank you to everyone (dad, mom, my wife, daughter, friends, Acappella, Hosanna, preachers, teachers, children) who have played a role in my life by teaching me to love the word of God, and because of that, you helped me grow to love God himself.

And to you Father... thank you for showing yourself to me through your Son, your children, creation, and your Spirit. I know my very ability to love you -- comes from you... THANKS...

What's your story???

Faith comes by hearing…

11 comments:

Grampy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Jamie,
You are so right about Acapella. They had a big impact on my life at a time when I needed a big impact from a good source. Not only the music itself, but being an "Acapella groupie" forced me to be around people who truly inspired me to be a better person. Lisa Hoskins took me to my first concert when I was a teen and we developed a wonderful relationship after that. She probably has no idea that she was so influential in my upbringing. I can remember listening to Acapella at a retreat at Lake Hope and Spike Ferrell saying after every song came on "Oh, this one is my FAVORITE!" EVERY song!! It really gave me an appreciation for good music, good fellowship with other Christians, and good guidance from the Lord through song. "His love is better than life!"

Grampy said...

I'm listening...

Aaron McCray said...

It was funny you mentioned this to me the other day before posting this. I felt the urge as I was driving down the road to pop in a "Acapella" CD, just because I felt like I needed it. Acapella brings me back to the day when I was developing a relationship with the LORD and needed a good source of encouragement. Like you they taught me a lot about scripture and I often think how nice it would have been for them to have a song for every passage in the BIBLE. Being able to sing the word along with them not only brought me closer to GOD but taught me more about his LOVE for me. If you are ever having a bad day, trust me, pop in a Acapella CD and you will feel much better by the time it is over because it reminds you that GOD is with you every step of the way and reminding you that you are saved by his grace, Just Like That Criminal On The Cross.

Thanks for the reminder Jamie.

JK said...

Hey Jamie, I saw you left a comment in my post and I am indeed who you think I am. Only one thing, my parents names are Mark and Connie, not Roger and Connie. It was good to hear from you. I remember that weekend when we did the fasting, it was the first time I ever did anything like that. Anyway, all is going well with me and my family. I am excited to go see them for the Holidays, I hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas!

Jennifer said...

I remember growing up thinking that the only gospel music was that awful sounding stuff where no one can carry a tune in a bucket and it was sung very loudly. I had no concept of the fact that there was any other kind of gospel music until I started going to church in 1991. Mike Anderson, the youth minister at the time, introduced me and my sisters to Acappella and AVB and we were sooo amazed at the sound. I have always been drawn to the sound of "the black guys on the street corner" you see on t.v. sometimes singing acappella. I was fascinated by the sounds they could make with their mouths that were not really words at all. So cool! So, to be handed an Acappella tape completely free my Mike, all those years ago, was amazing to me because it changed the way I viewed Christian music.

It's funny because when I read certain scriptures in the Bible now, I find myself singing the words in my head. It gets a little embarrassing when I'm reading those words out loud in a group of people because my reading speed slows down and can almost seem somewhat rythmic. ;) Kinda' silly but such a wonderful "problem" to have!!

Unknown said...

Mr. Kaufman,

Don't take it personally that Jamie can't get your parents' names right. He messes mine up all the time, and he's married to my sister.

Grampy said...

I'm still listening...

jamie riley said...

Hey guys thanks for the great comments, I really appreciate your encouragement...

Lisa -I know exactly what you mean, I was at that same Lake Hope retreat -- big fun huh! And your feet did stink!

Al- I get it... you funny guy!

A-Mac- you're welcome... thank you for the great story and for all the encouragement. You're a great friend and bro.

Jennifer - thanks for stopping by and for the good comments. I hope you're not still worried about that deleting a member thing.

Jared Kaufman - like I said on your blog - sorry about messing up your dad's name. Now can we let it go??? I'm kidding - thank you for stopping by here, come hang out again, it's great to visit with you. Please tell Mark and Connie I'd love to see them. Have a great Christmas.
By the way - if you meet Roger, tell him I said hey!

Billy - I mean Jason - why you gotta tell Jared that stuff about me messing up your name?

Al - I still get it!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot, Jamie. I thought you weren't going to embarass me any more and now you tell everyone about my stinky feet. You are completely ruining my reputation!!!

jamie riley said...

Come on Lisa, it lets every one see a cool side of you, ok??

sorry... I'll work on it.