Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Nice Chair...

I love my job! I know I’m clearly unworthy to have it, but I’m so thankful to God for it. There are so many blessings he showers on me everyday from the family of God, as he blesses me with the opportunity to serve, in various ways, his family as a minister.
For instance…
While shaking hands with me at the back of the building, Vic Knore said, “Stop and see me sometime.” So I did! Most of you know Vic and Arlene Knore. For those of you who may not; they’re a wonderful couple and members at Sunshine. They are in their early to mid-eighties, and full of life and love for God and his family. Vic and Arlene are the kind of folks (I like that word.) you love to spend time with. You just feel better about yourself for having been with them.
Anyway, when I arrived at their house I was greeted just like the other times I’ve visited them, as though I was their favorite person in the world. After he invited me in, Vic grabbed my arm and lead me straight to his new leather recliner, (Arlene has one too.) The recliners were their gifts to each other for their Fifty-first wedding anniversary, incredible isn’t it??!! The chair was really nice - and comfortable too. (Vic made me sit there the entire visit.)
But the great thing about this visit was the company not the furniture. We spent about an hour together that morning, and they shared wonderful stories with me about their life together. They also shared how proud they are of their two sons, Dennis and Donald. When the visit was over and I was walking to the door, Vic and Arlene made it sound as if they were the ones who received the blessing, and as if it were important to them that I had stopped by. As I was leaving Arlene said, “thanks for listening to all of our stories, sorry for having so many.” I expressed my appreciation to her and Vic for sharing, and that I was blessed for having been there. Then I thanked God for an incredible visit, and also for the people in my life that make me a better person because they open their homes for me to visit them from time to time.

BTW- If I were to leave you with a scripture that best captured Vic and Arlene’s attitude and heart it would have to be …

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Philippians 2:3

A great goal for Sunshine, and a fresh glimpse of Heaven…

4 comments:

Unknown said...

We are fortunate to have a lot of good folks at Sunshine.

Aaron McCray said...

Should be a great lesson to ourselves that sometimes we may have talents or encouraging thoughts that we do not share that could potentially make a significant impact on someone else's life or decision to become part of our family.

Great post.

jamie riley said...

Thanks guys for the encouraging words. I appreciate you stopping in and sharing your thoughts with me.

Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone for saying such wonderful things about my Mom and Dad. They were at my house in Lexington one night and I was showing Dad how we can all look things up on Google.com. I put in Mom's name "Arlene Knore" and scrolled down a few lines and found your blog. We were all very surprised to find a conversation about Vic and Arlene. They were both quite taken by the kind words everyone said about them. I am glad they have been able to touch so many people. I know all of you have made a positive impact on their lives. Especially the first night they surfed the web on "Google.com" Many Thanks.

Don Knore