Friday, December 23, 2005

Christmas Sale – Revisited…

Almost everywhere you turn this time of year, you see signs promoting great savings… 40% off sweaters -- 50% off belts -- 60% off socks – the savings are tremendous.

You don’t have to be a veteran shopper to understand that even though some stores have a 60% off sale – you’re still unable to pay the price for the item that is marked for sale.

In Matthew 5:3 Jesus says…“Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

This passage is very clear about my standing before God – a poor, bankrupt beggar – with not so much as two spiritual pennies to rub together. But it gets worse for me…the object of my desire is priceless -- not costly, or expensive, but priceless!

So here I am -- suddenly with greater knowledge of just how poor I really am -- because I now know that even if I had all the money in the world, I couldn’t afford the price of forgiveness, or righteousness before God.

So as I’m standing there at the checkout counter embarrassed and broken, trying to figure out just what I can and can’t afford, Jesus walks up and says – he’s with me – just put his with mine and I’ll pay for all of it together.

How do you pay for something that’s freely given??? You can’t! That’s just it -- and to think -- it all began in Bethlehem, with a baby in a manger…

O Holy Night!

3 comments:

Scotty G said...

Nice job Riley, glad you finished that story up with a good ending. I love blogging so much because you get to hear from people's hearts, how they feel about Jesus and the sacrifice he's made, what he's done for us, what he's promised to do.

Jennifer said...

Well written, Jamie! I'm lovin' these analogies!!

Aaron McCray said...

Great post James. The greatest feeling in the world is when you feel the LORD in your everyday struggles and life and not just when you choose to. Just standing in line at the counter...and you get a glimpse of our SAVIOUR!!! NICE...