Thursday, December 15, 2005

The Rest of the Story…

OK, so there’s more to yesterday’s blog post than I told you.
I may have been holding out on you a little, but I’m coming clean now…
We all know that God’s timing is amazing, and his sense of humor…well… is out of this world. (ok that’s weak, but it will work for now) But for him to do this is bordering on ornery…

If you haven’t read yesterday’s post, “Nice Chair,” you may want to do that before reading this, (but I’m sure that if you can operate a computer, your mind functions pretty well, and you have already done that.)

…Before knocking on Vic and Arlene’s door I put my cell phone on vibrate (it’s the considerate thing to do before any visit) and then put it in my left front pocket, like always.

So I’m sitting in Vic’s chair -- Vic is on the Sofa -- and Arlene is sitting in her “new” chair. It’s important, if you are going to understand our conversation, to note that this is a farm family.

Vic, Arlene, and I talked about family and how blessed our families are. We shared with each other about how much we love Sunshine, and how we enjoy being part of such a wonderful church family.
Then our conversation changed, and we started talking about snakes… not people that are considered snakes that
would be gossip…
We started talking about the real snakes, and how many they’ve seen on the farm, and they’ve seen a lot.
Arlene said “I always see snakes between the house and the garage, and I get a little concerned that one day I’m going to find one in the house.” Ok, I don’t care if you’re “weak” or a “manly–man” that just makes your skin crawl a little, not much, but a little. It’s not like they live in a snake infested shack, they have a beautiful farm house. but now the thought is planted, “snakes”! (What’s that rubbing against your foot while you’re reading this? Just kidding.)

Our conversation about snakes went on for about ten or fifteen minutes -- and they are sharing some pretty creepy stories. Then Arlene begins to tell a story about a snake that she saw in the barn that had gotten down in the big tracks that the barn doors open and close on. She said “it looked like it had just eaten something because it had a big bulge in its stomach.” Then she went on to say that “it was really big and all curled around the tracks of the door.” Right then my phone began to vibrate in my pocket! I jumped, grabbed my leg, and for a split-second I thought a snake was in my pocket. We got a pretty good laugh out of that, and then we changed the subject, thankfully.

My God has incredible timing, and a great sense of humor! I hope you know him like that as well. I openly admit that he is so much more to me that humorous; He is Life, and the only reason worth living! But he is pretty funny from time to time as well.
So, do you want to know who the phone call was from that scared me half-to-death? Get over it…

8 comments:

Grampy said...

Good story...just don't start handling snakes during services :)

BTW, I checked on what we spoke about on the phone a few days ago, deleting a blog member does not delete their posts.

Scotty G said...

I love your story and I also love to visit, just don't get to do so enough.
You have such a warm heart and I love the positive ways you bring out the love of God.
Thanks, bro.

Jennifer said...

Jamie, that is hilarious! I decided to check out your blog since you just called me and told me there was new stuff "the rest of the story". I'm glad I read it. What a hoot! :D

Jennifer said...

BTW, after reading Al's comment, I was wondering something. Are you planning to get rid of one of us on the big blog? ;) ;)

That's almost as scary as a snake in your pocket!

Mary L. said...

Great story Jamie. It is amazing how God's timing works. I am constantly amazed at God and his creation. Who else would have thought up an animal like a snake, a platypus, a giraffe... I could go on and on. He is just amazing.

And Al... you talk like handling snakes during service would be a bad thing?

Jennifer said...

hahahahaha....Mary!

CL said...

Jamie, That is a funny story. Thanks for stopping by blog. May God bless you in your ministry!!!

jamie riley said...

He guys -- thanks for the great comments, I appreciate you stopping by...

Cl - thanks for your encouragement, and for stopping by my blog. I hope we can visit each other more often. I'm glad to have bogged onto the blog of another brother in Christ, and I hope you allow me to consider you a friend.

Jennifer - stop laughing at Mary, she's sensitive! Oh yeah - stop talking about snakes too, you're making me a nervous wreck.

Mary - thanks for speaking and not just peeking and running, now do it more often. You and your dad are just weird with that snake thing. Love ya...

Scott - you're always encourageing, thanks. I think we should get to visit more often too.

Al, don't worry about me handling snakes, we'll leave that to Mary and her dad. (that's nuts)
Oh yeah, let's just let that, "deleting a blog member" thing stay just between us, it makes Jennifer nervous.