Friday, December 09, 2005

Donna K, more than just a waitress...

As soon as I walked in the door I knew I was being pulled into their conversation, like it or not...

Twenty minutes earlier I ordered cheese sticks from Pizza Hut on the Trail in Portsmouth, and now I was there to pick them up. The door had not even closed behind me and I noticed two women in a discussion at the counter. The tone of the conversation wasn't one of anger - more like disbelief, and misunderstanding. As I walked in Donna K. (clearly the best waitress Scioto County has ever known) greeted me with a "hi sweety", her usual greeting. She didnt greet me in this way because I'm such a great guy in her eyes, but because she's such a nice lady. She greets most everyone she waits on in a warm way. (she also brings me Mt. Dew before I even sit down - if I'm dining in. I told you she was a great waitress!)

Anyway... I said " hi Donna how are you today?" "Fine," she responds, and then goes right into ...

"I know you will think this is a great lesson opportunity, tell her it is."
She motions to the lady she had been talking to, and then began her story.

"My daughter (12 yrs. old) and I were working on the Christmas needs list (Donna is involved with Big Brothers, Big Sisters) for the kids who are in need, when she ran across the wish of a little girl who only asked for a hat - that's it! A hat. 'My daughter then asked, Mom, is this for real?' I said yes it is honey... she then went into the bathroom and cried, came back out and again asked, 'Mom, is this really for real?' I said yes honey it is, there are lots of children less fortunate than you. She then went back into the bathroom and cried again. Then she came out and said; 'instead of buying me anything for Christmas, I want us to spend that money on gifts for the children on the Big Brothers, Big Sisters list.'"

Then Donna looked me right in the eyes and said, "that's exactly what I'm going to do."

That's when the other lady, the lady she was in the discussion with when I walked in, spoke up... "But you're not getting your daughter anything for Christmas, she's not getting anything?!" She asked/stated this in disbelief. To which Donna said "that's right, tell her," she said to me, "that this is a great opportunity to teach something important to my daughter."

My turn...
Isn't it great to know that Jesus didn't expect the disciples to always know exactly what to say, so he informed them that the Spirit would give them the words. I know it's not the same situation, but I know the Spirit still leads his people today, and I need all the help he gives.

So I said... (with a convicted heart because of this wonderful story)

"The best times I've had at Christmas were the times when we couldn't, or chose not to have any or few gifts. Instead we focused on God and one another. Others have told me of the blessing thier family recieved when they chose not to buy gifts for each other, but instead bought for the less fortunate. Because the recieving doesn't get in the way, you can better understand giving, and of course that's what Christmas is, us celebrating God giving a gift, his son for us"

Then I looked at Donna and said, "The greatest thing about giving is that it's such a great part of Gods nature, and when we give we are participating in his incredible nature, now that's huge."

At that both ladies look at me and smiled, not that smile that says I wish he'd go away, But it was a moment - a God moving our lives closer to him moment. You've had those before.

Then Donna looked at me and said, "I'm really not getting her anything. They keep telling me I should get her at least one gift, but I don't think she would learn what she is supposed to learn from this."
At that point I was reminded of the words of David in 2 Samuel 18, when Araunah tries to give him everything needed for the sacrifice, David simply says "no I insist on paying you for it. I will not sacrifice to the lord my God burnt offerings that cost me nothing. "

I said, "it's not a sacrifice if it doesn't cost you anything."She smiled and said, "that's right, this is going to be great!"

6 comments:

Scotty G said...

What a heart that child must have. Is that why Jesus said we must become like children? I mean, they haven't learned the whole rat race, jealousy, get ahead of everyone else thing. They just want to do good and please the parents.

Thanks Jamie for a great post.

Unknown said...

Good post

Thought you might be interested in Jeff Garrett's Blog
http://jgarrett.blogspot.com/

Grampy said...

Another good one, Jamie!

aaronkallner said...

Nice post Jamie.
It is neat to see God working around us, the only problem is that most do not take the time to notice.

See I finally found your blog!!

jamie riley said...

Hey guys, thanks for stopping by, and for your encouraging words.

Aaron McCray said...

Makes you think of the cross... Our God and Saviour decided to give, and of all the miraculous things he has done and will ever do I am sure this gave him the greatest feeling, even suffering through all of the pain.