Monday, November 06, 2006

Be Kind to One Another

Sarcasm and cynicism are running rampant in society today. Along with that are those who seem to never be at a loss for an opinion, and who never miss an opportunity to express those opinions – whether correct or incorrect – that they have it and it has been made audible gives some sense of gratification… apparently.

I don’t want to get too deep in this thought, nor do I want to sound overly negative or heavy about it. In fact, at this point I need to say that being able to form our own opinion about something is a good thing. The problem comes when our opinion becomes the only thing that matters, or when it leads one to gossip or put another person down.

We do great harm to others because we have no control over our hearts, our minds, and because of that our tongues as well. The opening lines of the song “If you can’t say something good – don’t say nothin’ at all” by Third Day, go like this… “On, and on, and on, and on, and on she goes and where she stops no one really knows. Everybody’s got a problem -- so it seems -- and she aint afraid of telling me…” I think these lines say very clearly what is happening in our society today.

God has called us to a life that is so different than this! He has called us to a life of encouragement, support, and of serving him and others. In fact through Paul the Apostle, God says…

Ephesians 4:29
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

I find this verse and others like it, very convicting. I’m convicted because sometimes I’m one of those who form opinions and then speak them… right or wrong.

Anyway, I said all of that to say this… what would happen if we really took seriously the command of God, to “let no unwholesome talk come out of your mouths?" What if we only said things that built up, and encourage others? What if we started to “think of others more highly than ourselves,” wouldn’t life be so much fuller and richer?!

I know one thing – it would really shock the world! It might even shock them into believing Jesus has the power to change the world… and sometimes our lives prove that we don’t even believe that.



5 comments:

jamie riley said...

Lisa - thanks for the comment, and for stopping in again.

I think anyone who still has a properly functioning heart (physically and spiritually) can identify with what you're saying. Laughing and joking are great when you have a mature enough sense of humor to laugh with people about things, instead of always laughing at people. I also believe that personality comes in to play so much in life that if you don't consider you words carefully, you can really do great harm.

Now, let me say that I don't think we need to be paranoid about this. I just think we need to be more careful, and make sure that our hearts are about building others up, not just always trying to have our moment.

I agree that the world would be a much nicer place if we put this into practice.

Anonymous said...

Amen! Good call to be kind!

God bless
Maria in the UK
www.inhishands.co.uk

Unknown said...

It's funny how we can say things about others that we intend to be taken in a light-hearted manner, but when things of similar grade are said about me, I take it personaly. We all seem to live with a double-standard.

aaronkallner said...

Good thoughts.

I agree that it would be a much more pleasant world if we practiced the art of being kind to one another and watched our tongues. I think that we should be mindful of others. I know that I can tease with you or Jason, but if someone overhears my remarks they may not take it the way you and I intended. I like to have fun as much as anyone, but I feel that there is definitely a correct way (a Godly way) to have fun, without huting one another.

Aaron

jamie riley said...

Thanks everyone for visiting today -- I hope your day is great!

Maria - Thanks for your comment - have a blessed day.

Jason - I understand what you're saying here. When I find myself questioning the motives of another for saying this or that, I tend to think they may have meant it in a negative way. Yet, when I say someting I have no question for myself, because I know my intent is to just have fun. I think we need to practise giving each other ther benefit of the doubt.

Doc - I'm in total agreement! We really do need to watch our words. I'm sure if we did our relationships would be much more healthy.