Monday, November 13, 2006

You cannot go unnoticed…

Have you ever felt as though no one really cared about you or the struggles you’re going through? Maybe you feel completely insignificant, as though you could go through life and never be noticed.
If you feel this way – and I know there are lots of you out there who do, there are several stories in the Bible that can build your faith, and help you understand that you are never alone, God is always there… watching over you… and looking to bring great blessing into your life.

In Genesis 16, there is the story of Abram, Sarai, and Hagar. To make the long story short, God has promised to make Abram into a great nation. He told Abram that his decedents would be as numerous as the stars in the sky. But up to this point Sarai is barren. So Sarai devises a plan that will allow Hagar, Sarai’s maidservant to have children for her. She allows and encourages Abram to sleep with Hagar – and when he does Hagar becomes pregnant. When this happens Sarai starts to despise and mistreat Hagar. In fact she mistreated her so badly that she ran away with nothing to sustain herself.
This is where God comes to the rescue…
The scripture says that the “Angel of the Lord” found Hagar near a spring in the desert – and he said “Hagar, where have you come from and where are you going?” Hagar answered by telling the angel about Sarai. After telling her what was going to happen in her life, and the life of the child she was carrying, the angel then told Hagar to “go and submit herself to Sarai…”
Hagar then said of the angel “you are the God who sees me.” For she said “I have now seen the one who sees me.”

I know that Hagar must have felt all alone in the desert, just her, and her unborn child. But the truth of the matter is that she was not alone – God was with her, he noticed her.

In Mark 5 there is a story of a woman who had been bleeding for twelve years. The scripture says she had spent all her money on doctors, but only grew worse. One day as Jesus was on his way to Jairus’ house to heal Jairus’ daughter -- Jesus stopped and asked “who touched me,” those with him said “Master there are so many people around you that we’re about to be crushed – and you ask who touched me??!!” Jesus then said – “I felt power go out of me…” when the woman realized that she could not go unnoticed (that’s right – read it for yourself) she walked over to Jesus, fell at his feet and told him the whole truth of what had happened. At that, Jesus said to her, “daughter your faith has healed you, go in peace and be freed from your suffering.”

Two stories of people who thought they were alone in their suffering – they thought they had become the unnoticed ones. But they were wrong. God is the great lover and rescuer of his children. And if you’re struggling with feeling insignificant or inadequate I just want to remind you to think about Haggar’s words to the angel of the Lord… you are the God who sees me! And be comforted.

David said in Psalm 139… Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.


HAVE A GREAT DAY!







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for giving us encouragement
GOD BLESS
Maria in the UK
www.inhishands.co.uk

Unknown said...

Good words -- it is easy to feel insignificant.