Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Value…

Value is determined by the price someone is willing to pay for something. If I own something such as an antique -- or a great baseball card collection that has been appraised and found to be worth a large amount of money, but no one will pay me for it, it is really not worth all that much after all.

The same seems to be true when it comes to how people are viewed in the world today. If you have a little you’re only worth a little. But if you have a lot – nice home, great financial portfolio, live in the right part of town, run in the right circles – then you’re worth a lot. According to the world’s terms I would have to say that I clearly fit in the – I have a little – therefore I’m only worth a little category… according to the world’s terms that is…

Fortunately for me that’s not the last word when it comes to how valuable I am. You see the Bible says…

Romans 5:6-8
You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

John 3:16-17
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

If value is determined by the price someone is willing to pay for something – and it is! Then there is amazing news – not just for me but for all of us. The best of heaven was given on our behalf to buy us back for God. When we were lost and the price of sin was on our head – Jesus found us so valuable that he bought us back with his very life.

You are truly valuable to God – and Jesus paid the price to prove it!

2 comments:

Scotty G said...

I think John 15 shows the high value Christ puts on us:

I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. This is my command: Love each other.

Unknown said...

Good to have you back around!